Tuesday, July 18, 2017

#PitchWars Wish List and Bio

Hello, #PitchWars authors!

I’m so excited to learn more about your books! This post includes some info about me and my writing, what I’m looking for with submissions, and what I’m looking for in a mentee. If we’re a good match, please send me your pitch!

About Me

I’m queer and Latinx. I grew up in Southern California, currently live in Seattle, and travel as much as I can; my most recent trips were to Chicago and Barcelona. I love being active, whether that’s hiking with my dogs, powerlifting, boxing, or going out on the water in whatever craft is available. I have 6+ years experience as an editor from my former career, as well as an M.F.A. in fiction, so I’m well-versed in giving feedback on manuscripts. Some of my favorite books are Sarah Waters’s TIPPING THE VELVET, Junot Díaz’s THE BRIEF WONDROUS LIFE OF OSCAR WAO, and Cormac McCarthy’s THE ROAD.

What I Write

My novels and short stories explore passing, performance, and belonging: what is gained and lost by conforming to societal expectations of gender, race, class and sexuality. My short fiction has been published in Witness Magazine, Post Road Magazine, Quaint Magazine, and other journals. I’ve been awarded residencies at Yaddo, Blue Mountain Center, and I-Park. My debut novel, CIPHER, will be released in Fall 2018 by MCD/Farrar, Straus and Giroux. CIPHER follows Alma Rosales, a queer woman and ex-Pinkerton detective, as she switches between female and male disguises to investigate an opium-smuggling ring.

My #PitchWars Wish List

This year I’m mentoring in the Adult category. Here’s what I’d love to see:
— Literary fiction + Historical, Crime, Thriller, Noir, or Mystery; specifically, genre-benders that combine two or more of these genres (example: literary character study + twisty mystery plot) 
— LGBTQ+ main characters (#OwnVoices books preferred) 
— Latinx main characters (#OwnVoices books preferred) 
— #OwnVoices books in general
— “Unlikable female characters,” i.e. complex, intense, human female characters 
— Queer love stories (#OwnVoices books preferred)
— Body positivity and trans-inclusive feminism
— Literary fiction (special interests, in addition to those listed above: South America; modern American-Latinx experience; sports stories from female PoVs; borderlands; tall ships; California) 

Here’s what not to send me:
— Stories where women/PoC/sex workers/LGBTQ+ people are murdered to incite plot (if your crime novel is about someone serial-killing women/PoC/sex workers/LGBTQ+ people, its not for me) 
— Fantasy, memoir, (cis) M/F romance, women’s fiction

** Special note for speculative, dystopian, and science fiction: I’m not well-versed in these genres (and there are other mentors actively seeking them!), but if your book has several elements from my wish list, I’d be happy to read your pitch


About You

You have a completed manuscript. You are ready to put in the time and effort to make your book really shine. You can listen to and work with constructive criticism. You have a positive attitude and enjoy the revision process! While we will be putting in serious work to polish your manuscript, #PitchWars should also be fun. The community is wonderful. We’re all spending time on something we love -- writing! -- and that is something to celebrate.


Good Luck!

Now prep your submission and get excited, because theres tons of anticipation on the mentor side as we get ready to read pitches! 

In the lead-up to the submission window, get to know your #PitchWars community. Make friends with other writers, and come say hello on Twitter! I'd be happy to meet you and answer any questions you may have about my wish list or writing in general.

I’m also participating in the July 24 #PitchWars LIVE show, along with other Adult mentors. Watch Brenda’s page or Twitter for more information on these events. 

Below are links to the other Adult mentors and their wish lists. Good luck, and I hope you find the perfect mentor for your manuscript. Happy (almost) #PitchWars!


Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Thumb-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
If this widget does not appear, click here to display it.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Katrina! My novel is literary/soft sci fi/#ownvoices/queer romance (seriously, they are ALL queer). I know you hesitate to take on sci fi unless it ticks your other boxes. Does this seem sufficiently "ticked"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! This is definitely a pitch I'd like to read. Thanks for asking, and I hope to see your full query when the sub window opens! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for your response! I appreciate your time.

    ReplyDelete

Pitch Wars 2018 Wish List

Welcome to Pitch Wars 2018! I’m very excited to read your pitches and learn about your work. This post gives some info about me ...